Director of Visitor Services & Public Programs
About Queens County Farm Museum
Queens County Farm Museum is a New York City Landmark and on the National Registry of Historic Places. It is the most visited cultural institution in Queens, connecting visitors to agriculture and environment through the lens of the historic site with free daily admission, public programs and events and its renowned agricultural work. Queens County Farm Museum is the largest tract of farmland in New York City and one of the oldest continuously farmed sites in New York State, dating back to 1697. As Queens County Farm Museum celebrates its 325th anniversary of continuous farming this year, Queens Farm embarks on its largest agricultural expansion in over 50 years and has secured $26 million in public funds to fully fund its new 18,000 sq. foot education center, the first new construction on the site since the 1920’s.
With record public attendance over the last few years despite Covid business interruptions, Queens County Farm Museum has created the new position of Director, Visitor Services and Public Programs to build capacity in response to public demand for Queens Farm’s public work and services.
The Director, Visitor Services & Public Programs will lead and provide strategic direction for all aspects of Queens County Farm Museum’s visitor services and museum operations. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Visitor Services & Public Programs serves as a strategic leader for strengthening and evolving the standards and best practices of Queens County Farm Museum’s service-focused visitor experience while supporting program registration and revenue goals.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive, integrated public programs plan, in conjunction with agricultural, education, marketing and grounds operations departments. This includes developing new programs and enhancing current ones (such as planned enhancements of the adult education program, new pre-school and out-of-school time farm education programs; and recasting of the School-to-Farm curriculum for public visitor)
- Manage day-to-day operations of visitor services to ensure a welcoming environment and continue to grow/develop the daily visitor experience, including staffing of all public-facing Farm locations (the Reading Room, Historic Farmhouse, Farm Store, Farmstand, Hayrides, the Children’s Garden and more).
- Train and supervise frontline staff and volunteers responsible for delivering daily programs and events.
- Manage the logistics of field trips and other school education programs, including arrivals, departures, and on-site tour group flow.
- Collaborate with the Director of Agriculture to make the agricultural work of Queens Farm more visible to visitors through programs, interpretive signage, and other initiatives.
- Collaborate as a team member along with the Director of Marketing & External Affairs and the Director of Event Planning to produce public programs and special events, acting as the primary lead for a guest-related matters associated with events and programs.
- Develop corporate/group volunteer projects and the supporting relationships with partner organizations.
- Direct QCFM’s volunteer program in collaboration with department heads, develop policies and procedures and oversee the recruitment, training, assignment, and retention of volunteers
- Work with Operations team to ensure timely repairs, renovations and routine maintenance of all public areas on the Farm.
- Oversee Farm Store / Visitor Center.
- Reconcile and report daily transaction revenues for programs and retail sales.
- Oversee site rentals, including weddings, corporate events and birthday parties.
- Lead the management of logistics related to parking, transportation and wayfinding for all visitors.
- Develop departmental budgets for staffing, supplies and materials related to the guest experience.
- Maintain an emergency response and safety plan for all programs and events, communicating the plan to all staff as needed.
- Support Queens Farm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion and help develop best practices to ensure that all visitors feel respected, welcome and comfortable at all times at Queens Farm.
- Act as an empathetic advocate for the priorities of Queens Farm’s visitors, ensuring that the guest’s perspective is kept front-of-mind in all key planning for programs, events and guest-focused initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in museum studies, hospitality, entertainment, education or nonprofit management, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of related professional experience in a nonprofit visitor and/or public customer service operation required. 5+ years is experience preferred.
- Professional demeanor, self-motivation, and ability to work as a team player
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, as well as organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and accommodate required weekend and holiday work
- Strong management skills
- Ability to think strategically in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated commitment to building diverse teams that are welcoming and inclusive
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
What We Offer
- A progressive work environment as part of a small team
- Salary $85,000-$95,000 commensurate with experience. Queens County Farm Museum considers several factors when determining the appropriate salary to offer a candidate within the listed salary range. These factors include (but are not limited to), the scope and responsibilities of the position, a candidate’s relevant work experience and education/training, job skills, equity across the institution, as well as market and organizational considerations.
- Health Insurance
- Participation in the organization’s Simple IRA plan
- Farm Store & Farmstand Employee Discount
- Queens County Farm Museum is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications submitted without a résumé and cover letter will not be considered. No telephone calls for position inquiries, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.